- ASTM. "Determining Residual Stresses by the Hole-Drilling Strain-Gage Method." ASTM Standard Test Method E837-08. American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA. 2008.
- Grant, P.V., Lord, J.D. and Whitehead, P.S. "The Measurement of Residual Stresses by the Incremental Hole Drilling Technique." Measurement Good Practice Guide No.53, National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, UK, 2002.
- Schajer, G.S. and Whitehead, P. "Hole-Drilling and Ring Coring." Chapter 2 in "Practical Residual Stress Measurement Methods", ed. Schajer, G.S., Wiley, Chichester, UK. 320pp, 2013.
- Vishay Measurements Group, Inc. "Measurement of Residual Stresses by the Hole-Drilling Strain-Gage Method." Tech Note TN-503-6. Vishay Measurements Group, Inc., Raleigh, NC. 16pp., 1993.
- Oettel, R. "The Determination of Uncertainties in Residual Stress Measurement (using the Hole Drilling Technique)." Code of Practice 15, Issue 1, EU Project No. SMT4-CT97-2165, Sept. 2000.
- Mathar, J. "Determination of Initial Stresses by Measuring the Deformation Around Drilled Holes." Transactions ASME, Vol.56, No.4, pp.249-254, 1934.
- Rendler, N.J. and Vigness, I. "Hole-drilling Strain-gage Method of Measuring Residual Stresses." Experimental Mechanics, Vol.6, No.12, pp.577-586, 1966.
- Schajer, G.S. "Application of Finite Element Calculations to Residual Stress Measurements." Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol.103, No.2, pp.157-163, 1981.